Rhett has quite an obsession with Berry muffins these days. He wakes up asking for them in the morning and if it were up to him, he would have them at every meal and snack. This morning we didn’t have any left and he threw a small fit…you know the typical toddler “I want my way” tantrum. I explained that he would have to have something else for breakfast, but after breakfast we could bake some. This seemed reasonable to him, so that is exactly what we did. I like to keep fresh berries for eating as they are, so we used frozen in the recipe below. However, you could easily use fresh if you have an over over abundance on hand. I have called these Super Berry Muffins because berrie certainly are superfoods packed with nutrients and disease fighting antioxidants, but also because the boys were pretending to be superheroes while making them. The name seemed fitting all around. 😉
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/3 cup Baby Brain Organics (or an extra 1/4 cup whole wheat flour)
1/2 Tbsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup coconut milk (or alternate milk of your choice)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or other fruit puree)
1/4 agave syrup or honey
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup frozen berries
1. Mix together all dry ingredient.
2. Mix together all wet ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just moistened. Try to not over mix.
4. Spoon muffin mix into pan and then add berries. You may wish to add just one Berry to each muffin if you are making mini muffins or a spoonful if you are making large muffins.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F. Baking time for mini muffins is about 12-14 minutes and for medium size muffins is 22-35 minutes.
When we were making these, there was more of a mess than I anticipated as the kids were involved, but they tasted better for it and the experience was one that will keep me smiling all day long!
Hope you enjoy!
Until next time…stay healthy!