Okay so I have had lettuce wraps in several restaurants but had not made them at home until this past week. They were SO good!!! My husband loved them and was giving me ideas for other ingredients we could try. I didn’t follow a recipe but if you are interested in giving these a go, here is what I did…
- Cook up 1 pound ground chicken in a fry pan. Add small bits of water if needed.
- Once chicken is cooked, add in 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil, diced onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Saute everything together until veggies are cooked/softened.
- Add in 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup water chestnuts, 1 cup white beans (black beans would be great too!)
- Stir in 2 tsp. sesame oil and 2-3 Tbsp. peanut sauce. Simmer on low stirring regularly until all is cooked through.
- Serve in large pieces of romaine, bibb, or ice burg lettuce.
A great variation for this would be to put a Mexican twist on it. Instead of the peanut sauce, you could use salsa or a fajita seasoning.